You don’t have to be an athlete or even that serious about exercise to know it’s important. Common reasons to exercise include things like wanting to look better, fit into our clothes, limber up, workout for better health, stress and anxiety relief, and last but not least — because the doctor suggested it.
Here’s 35 Ways to Get Your Exercise
- Walk through the neighborhood
- Find a local walking track
- Use the inside of a mall as a walking track
- Ride a bike
- Rake the lawn
- Mow the lawn
- Go to Yoga classes
- Buy a simple book and do Yoga at home
- Learn how to do Tai Chi
- Go swimming
- Play badminton
- Workout on an exercise ball
- Walk up and down stairs. A flight of stairs is good, but 2 or 3 steps on the porch will serve the same purpose.
- Use stair steppers for exercise
- Go to the gym
- Buy a home treadmill
- Stationary bike
- Check out this post for more home cardio equipment
- Weight Machines
- Rowing machine
- Walk on your hands and knees through the house (great for back issues)
- Jump rope
- Skip through or around the house
- Run a marathon
- Do pushups
- Jumping Jacks
- Get a set of resistance tubes (exercise bands). You can easily attach these to doors for a great workout
- Do stretches
- Walk the dog
- Kettle ball workouts
- Dumbbells from sports stores or Walmart
- Get a basketball goal for the driveway and shoot some hoops
- Rollerblading or roller skating
Those are all no no-nonsense ideas right off the top of my head for getting exercise – and I’m guessing there’s more that haven’t come to mind yet.
I’m hoping that by reading through these you’ll either see something that interest you, or maybe spark your own imagination?
Exercise and Fitness Can Be Simple
The thing to remember is this — there are different ways to think of and approach exercise. It’s easier than you think to get your exercise when you realize it’s just about regular physical activity.
There are plenty of good exercises to do at home and you can get fit at home with no equipment at all. The fact is you don’t have to be, or even think of yourself as, a serious exerciser or athlete to include regular physical activity into your life.
I usually think in terms of some grueling workout that brings a sweat and sometimes gasping for breath.
But face it, what most of us need is just more physical activity and as you can see from the list, a little imagination is all you need.
Let me show you how it’s hard to separate physical activity and health with the list below.
11 Health Benefits of Physical Activity That Are Real
Regular exercise can help:
- Get to and maintain a healthy weight
- Keep your joints protected and flexible
- Improve your balance
- Maintain and improve balance
- With good posture
- Strengthen bones
- Lower the risk of sickness and disease
- Build a strong heart and circulatory system
- Improve your moods
- Boost your energy levels
- Sleep better
The point is that it probably doesn’t matter as much what you do for exercise as much as it does that you do it consistently.
Our bodies weren’t meant for sitting as much as most of find ourselves doing. We were meant to be and stay physically active no matter what our age, health, or abilities happens to be.
So, if you want to feel better, reduce your risk for common diseases, increase your energy, live longer, and look better — exercise!