Most of us desk jockeys wind up sitting about 14 hours a day on workdays. We spend a lot of time on our butts at the desk, and more during off-hours. This equates to a sedentary lifestyle with little or no exercise. Some of us are under the illusion that exercising after work corrects the problem? Read in this post: Exercising With the Best Under Desk Exercise Equipment, how and why exercise in the office is the only answer.
Sitting with little movement for long hours during the day does more than leaving you with a stiff neck and back ache. It puts you at risk of early death.
Here’s the thing, the more technology advances, the more time we spend at a desk. Unless you’ve been under a rock the last few years, you already know all of this desk time is wrecking our health. In fact, it is taking years off of our lives.
How Bad is Sitting at a Desk All Day?
Sitting at a desk all day isn’t the only time we are seated during a normal day.
We sit at the desk, at home, and traveling in automobiles. We sit to eat, on the way to work, at work, on the way home, at lunch and dinner, and then in the recliner. Whether we are at our desk or not, we find our selves spending a lifetime sitting. And it’s deadly!
What Sitting at a Desk Does to Your Body
- Skyrocketed blood sugar levels and type 2 diabetes
- A nation of overweight and obese desk workers
- Increased risk of heart disease
- High “bad” cholesterol levels
- High Triglycerides
- Increased risk of many diseases
- Heightened risk of some forms of cancer
Not Me. I Exercise Most Days of the Week.
Yes, I am sure you do, and that’s a good thing. The problem with exercise after work though, is that it has almost no bearing on all the time sitting at a desk. It’s true! Sitting at a desk means poor blood circulation at the time – not when you are standing. Even wiggling around under the desk trying to get comfortable isn’t enough muscle activation to stir up much metabolism.
And it takes muscle activation to promote circulation, proper breathing, and calorie burn. The fact is, we were designed and built to stand up for most of the day. Sitting for so many hours each day can have a terrible effect on our bodies over time. And to tell you the truth, it doesn’t take long?
How Sitting at a Desk 8 Hours a Day Affects Your Body
- Cardiovascular system. Because we were built to stand up the heart and cardiovascular system is designed to work best when you’re standing. Your bowels and internal organs work more effectively with upright motion and activity.
- Legs and Butt Muscles. Leg muscles from your waist down are the largest muscles of the body, and your circulatory system depends on their activity to pump blood effectively.
- Digestion, Energy, Sugar Levels. The action of muscles moving activates your entire body. Movement of muscles, which is exercise, causes your body to digest food and control sugar levels. Spending most of your day sitting with no physical activity during that time means it’s extremely difficult to control your weight.
- Lower Back and Hips. Office workers often suffer from back and hip problems and can’t really figure out why? More often than not the culprit is hip flexor problems from in-action of legs under the desk for long periods of time. Staying in the sitting position for hours at the time shortens these muscles, leading to skeletal misalignment and pain.
- Varicose Veins. Blood naturally pools in your feet and legs under the desk. Most people wind up with varicose veins as a result. Even though varicose veins are not necessarily dangerous, most people do not like the looks of them.
- Poor Posture. Bad posture is a definite cause of stiff necks and shoulder pain. I don’t know about you, but sitting in an office chair makes it hard for me to keep from slouching over my computer.
Why Under Desk Exercise is Crucial
Once you accept the fact that your job of sitting at a desk is taking a serious toll on your health — to the point of an early exit (from life itself) — the remedies takes a front seat.
And lucky for all of us, there are remedies such as:
1. Get Up Every Hour
Searching the web will soon lead you to pages stating that getting up from your desk and walking around the office every hour is a great solution. But is it? Not so much, really, and I’ll explain why.
- Few people are going to do it. I mean working in an office full of people with quotas and deadlines to fulfill makes it difficult to set a timer and stop everything while you exercise.
- Fewer bosses and supervisors will accept it.
- Even though there are a lot of office exercises you can do for 5 minutes every hour away from your desk, it’s hard to re-focus when you sit down again.
- Getting up every hour is not the real solution to the problem because the moment you sit down body functions slow down again. So just like the exercise at home has no effect on time spent sitting, exercise away from the desk has little effect on the time sitting.
2. Exercise More After Business Hours
I spend my life trying to convince people of just important exercise is to there health and well being. So, believe me, I know exercise is a critical element of living your best life. But, does exercise at the gym or walking after work help with the issues of sitting at work?
Exercising after work or before work does wonders for things like heart health, reducing pain, keeping your body flexible, increasing energy levels, strengthening muscles and bones, burning calories for weight loss, and a lot more.
Not so much as you might expect? The problem lies in your muscles not activating while you are there with your feet under the desk. It’s during these hours motionless and inactive hours that your body all but shuts down. Blood circulation is limited to say the least, and you are burning about 1 calorie every hour.
And Then You Cancel Out The Effects and Benefits With 8 Hours at the Desk!
3. Quit Your Job
I had to mention this as a remedy because most of us would quit doing things that damage our health this much. The fact is once I realized this was the source of a lot of my own ailments, I seriously considered finding another career that didn’t involve so much sitting.
However, I know that some of us love what we do and some of us are financially bound to our present jobs. And lucky for us, there is a 4th remedy that’s inexpensive and actually works to reverse the negative health effects of a desk job.
The Best Solution is Under Desk Exercise Equipment
Here’s the thing: When you exercise your legs you activate the largest muscle groups in your body.
You can’t very well do pushups, or lift weights while doing anything at your desk. But you can put your legs into action to drastically improve your overall health, and even lose weight while working at your computer. And it’s done with exercise equipment you use under your desk!
The Perfect Solution
This is the perfect alternative and solution to a myriad of health problems right at work — while you are working. A pedal exerciser under a standard office, or cubicle, desk can literally change your life. Instead of raising your risk of disease and early death at work, exercise equipment for your desk will lower risk and raise health levels.
Silently, unobtrusively, unconsciously pedaling along with your feet under the desk will help lower cholesterol and triglycerides, burn far more calories than merely sitting all day, and dramatically increase your focus. You will see your flexibility and endurance levels increase like never before with a desk bike.
Sure, there is a sheer multitude of gadgets advertised as desk exercise equipment. Theyclaim to increase your health at work. But the vast majority of those items require you to stop what you are doing on the computer to exercise. Furthermore, they create very little overall muscle action, and burn no more calories than you were burning to begin with.
All research has proven that the best exercise for improving and maintaining the best health are workouts that include using your legs. Exercises like walking, running, swimming, cycling, tennis, and jumping ropes always head the list because they are heart-pumping endeavors.
Leg Workout Machines do this for you at work!
Not only do you not pedal as fast as you can, but it’s also advised to pedal slowly and steadily with little resistance. Pedaling like this with your under desk bike keeps everything in your body activated with never a thought from you. The best equipment makes no noise or so little you or your co-workers will never hear or know you are steadily increasing your health at work.
Just think, doctors and researchers now recommend a minimum of 150 minutes (2.5 hours) of exercise a week to stay fit. With your own office exercise equipment, you will easily get 5 times the recommended minimum.
Nobody can deny that sitting at a computer for 8 or more hours a day isn’t conducive to the best health, and most agree it’s a real killer. Researchers are now saying desk jobs are the equivalent to smoking, or worse when it comes to health risk.
Sitting is making us fat, increasing the risk of early death to as high as 40%, causing muscular disorders, chronic back pain with headaches, increased risk of some cancers including colon cancers.
Now Think About This:
All of that can be avoided — while actually lowering all of those risk below the national average for anyone — just by using under desk exercise equipment.